Skip to Main Content
FlightPushFLIGHTPUSH
NTSB Safety Recommendations

Learn

Dashboard My Courses Mastery Map Practice Flight Bag

Resources

CFR & AIM FAA Orders Handbooks & Guides Certification Standards Pilot/Controller Glossary Advisory Circulars Legal Interpretations
Safety Center
Articles Trust Center
Help Center FAQ Status
  1. Safety Center
  2. NTSB Safety Recommendations
  3. NTSB A-20-021
Loading
flightpush.co home

NTSB · Safety Recommendation

Safety Recommendation A-20-021

Recommendation

TO SURVIVAL FLIGHT: Revise its flight risk assessment procedures to incorporate the elements described by Advisory Circular 135-14B, including procedures for determining prior flight refusals by another helicopter air ambulance operator and forecast en route weather.

Safety Issue and Context

On January 29, 2019, about 0650 eastern standard time, a single-engine, turbine-powered Bell 407 helicopter, N191SF, being operated as a helicopter air ambulance (HAA) flight, collided with forested terrain about 4 miles northeast of Zaleski, Ohio.1 The certificated commercial pilot, flight nurse, and flight paramedic died, and the helicopter was destroyed. The helicopter was registered to and operated by Viking Aviation, LLC, doing business as Survival Flight Inc., under Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 135.

Company flight-following procedures were in effect for the visual flight rules (VFR) flight, which departed Mount Carmel Hospital, Grove City, Ohio, about 0628 and was destined for Holzer Meigs Emergency Department, Pomeroy, Ohio, about 69 nautical miles southeast, to pick up a patient. Night visual meteorological conditions existed at the departure location, but available weather information indicated that snow showers and areas of instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) existed along the route of flight.

Response History

March 17, 2021 · NTSB Correspondence · Survival Flight

On January 27, 2021, Mr. Windes informed us that, on August 24, 2020, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved revision 13 of your General Operations Manual (GOM). We note that your updated GOM includes a procedure in the flight risk assessment for determining prior flight refusals by another operator. We believe this additional procedure is responsive to the first part of this recommendation; however, we would also like to know if your GOM includes a procedure for determining forecast and en-route weather, as mentioned in the second part of this recommendation.

Pending our review of this additional information, Safety Recommendation A 20-21 is classified OPEN-- ACCEPTABLE RESPONSE.

July 29, 2020 · Recipient Response · Survival Flight

-From Jack H. Windes, Director of Operations, Viking Aviation, LLC doing business as Survival Flight: We at Survival Flight wanted to provide you with an in progress review of where we are at with addressing the 6 points of recommendation that the board had for us following the release of the final investigation report into our HAA accident in Zaleski, Ohio on January 29, 2019 (NTSB/AAR-20,01).

We have aggressively embraced the need to address these recommendations and we are working diligently everyday to see each and every one to an end. Change has occurred in our organization's management as a first step at addressing these issues.

We want you to know that we care deeply about the safety of our flight crews and the public in which they serve. Your comments on just culture and the role that it needs to play in the safe operation of an HAA company has not been lost on our organization. Every decision we make is with consideration to how we can improve and prevent this from ever happening again.

Although much progress has been made, many of the items that are focus points in your 6 recommendations are not yet fully implemented. We wanted you to know that we are diligently working on completing these items. This in progress review is not meant to be a final report but rather, a conditions check and update to you as to our progress.

I anticipate having fully implemented changes that address all 6 of your recommendations no later than 1 October 2020.

Read Recommendation

Recommendation Facts

Status
Open - Acceptable Response
Issued
June 8, 2020
Priority
CLASS II
Recipient
Survival Flight
Adopted
May 19, 2020
Related Investigation
CEN19FA072
Related Report
AAR-20-01

Attached is a document entitled "NTSB update". In this document you will find all 6 of your recommendations in italics along with a corresponding update as to our progress in addressing each one. There are also additional Exhibits attached so that you can see the corresponding company policy/procedure as supporting documentation as to how we are addressing these recommendations.

In addition to the updates on addressing your recommendations, I wanted you to know that we have other parallel efforts ongoing in an attempt to mitigate risk and improve our culture beyond the 6 recommendations that you have. I am proud to tell you that Survival Flight has begun the process for CAMTS accreditation. We have also partnered with ECHO (Every Coast Helicopter Operators). ECHO is an organization made up of industry professionals who promote safety and cross talk between HAA companies. They have been a strong critic of ours in the past. We reached out to them and invited them to conduct an external evaluation as to our policies and our climate.

This evaluation is currently ongoing. We anticipate ECHO bringing even more recommendations as to how we can even further foster a climate of just culture, safety, and dignity for the first responder family members that make up our company.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if there is anything additional I can provide regarding our update to you. I look forward to providing you with a final summary as to our full implementation of all 6 recommendations in the coming weeks.

A-20-21 Revise your flight risk assessment procedures to incorporate the elements described by Advisory Circular 135-14B, including procedures for determining prior flight refusals by another helicopter air ambulance operator and forecast en route weather.

Our current risk assessment procedures mandate that all flight requests that occur during a time in which a base is at an elevated risk due to concerns over weather, be screened for other agencies that may have declined the flight for weather. Our existing policy then goes on to mandate that this information be relayed to the pilot receiving the request so that they can factor this data into their decision to accept the flight or decline it.

We are currently in the process of refining this policy even further so as to require that all flight requests be screened for possible turn downs by other agencies regardless of the risk posture of the base we are requesting. Simply said, with the refined policy, we will ask of every flight request that comes in, regardless of weather conditions, if the flight has been previously declined by another agency. We will then continue to relay this information to the pilot being requested so that they can factor this data into their decision to accept or decline the flight.

This verbiage will be reflected in Rev. 13 of the GOM which is currently in the revision process with the FAA. I anticipate this to be complete NLT 15 August 2020.

I have attached our current OCC policy that addresses this as “Exhibit A”.